Elsewhere in this forum there have been some statements made about catalytic converter's that are false and I thought I might post some info about them in hopes that those who choose to can have a mature discussion about their benefits and drawbacks.
1. Catalytic converters, contrary to popular belief, were not created to combat global warming. They were fitted on combustion engines as an answer to the smog in Los Angeles in the 1970s. Their premise was that they would reduce hydrocarbons which are cooked by the sun and create the brown haze in the sky.
2. The problem with cats is that although they reduce hydrocarbons, they actually emit more nitrous oxide which is actually 300 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.
3. Cars without cats are not necessarily louder than those with cats. The muffler and resonator designs have much more effect on the loudness of a car than the catalytic converter.
4. Some people object to cars without cats saying they emit foul smells. By that logic would driving a diesel be foul as well? I think not. If you want your car to smell good, you should get a diesel and run your own homemade biodiesel and you can drive around smelling like French fries.
5. This is the clincher: Catalytic converters are made up of precious metals that require significant energy to be extracted. The pollution created by the harvesting of these precious metals has actually caused the area of Norlisk, Russia to be added to Time Magazine's list of the most polluted places.