08-17-2012, 03:57 AM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nippon, Yeay
Originally Posted by black thunder
finally finished the nexus 7 install. it came out great. only thing i need to do is put some finishing touches to sync it up with the cars ignition. i already have it turning off/on with the car but still trying to find a way to pause/close music apps.
anyway heres the rundown of things i used/bought
- nexus 7
- kindle fire (does not have bluetooth/gps)
- custom rom (optional but recommended)
- i chose the jvc kdx50bt. best headunit for $100 from crutchfield. bluetooth, two usb ports, aux in, etc... came with wiring harness
- anti glare screen protector (optional)
- right angle 3.5mm audio cable (optional? if you use bluetooth to stream audio. havent tried yet)
- antenna extension (optional)
- right angle micro usb to usb
- obd2 bluetooth adapter (optional)
apps (protip: you get $25 play store credit with nexus 7 making all apps below free)
- tasker - to run custom tasks like turning on tablet with car
- smart rotator - will force apps to landscape
- tethergps - only for kindle since it lacks gps. this app allows you to tether gps off your phone so you can use maps etc
- media buttons - audio playback widgets. i think its not jelly bean compatible yet.
- volume control - lets you control volume anywhere with an overlayed volume bar
- torquepro - uses bluetooth obd2 adapter to display gauges, CEL's, etc
the headunit charges the tablet but i need to do more testing to see if it can charge faster than the battery depletes. so far so good though...
ill take some better pics and video coming soon!
hope this helped
I miss driving
, cool use of the n7