Wow, can't believe I haven't updated this in a while.
So here is a rundown of the last few months:
Went with my GF to Mid-Ohio for the Rolex/Grand-Am race and took a few shots of the Subaru Road Racing Team's STI:
Had a busted inner CV boot on the passenger side and decided to buy a remanufactured axle from NAPA. BAD CHOICE! after one fell apart just trying to put it on and the second one fell apart within about 15 miles of driving I went with a reman from subaru and havent had an issue with it. here is the NAPA(LEFT) Subaru remanufactured(CENTER) and OEM(RIGHT) looks can be deceiving!
Next session at Putnam was July 1st. It was a hot one with highs around 98F! Apparently my car had a vacuum leak the last time I was at the track which was causing it to over boost and then cut boost down badly. I fixed that this time around and the car was MUCH faster. I now needed to brake for a turn i normally didn't have to and I eventually ended up going in too hot and braking over a small crest. The RCE springs are just too soft for track use and the car has a lot of dive while braking followed by a long recovery time. the following video is the result of all of these factors combined:
Needless to say I decided i needed more spring rate so I picked up the ground control kit with 500lb front, 450lb rear springs. This would be around a 70% jump in spring rate from the RCE yellows but keeps the same overall balance. Installed the kit but soon realized some modifications needed to be made:
The original spring perch is in the way of the GC perch so you can adjust them the full range. Took it all apart and took them to work to fix the issue:
few minutes on the lathe and the old perches were gone!
here is a comparison and the final result after i added some helper springs: