We made some progress in the last few days. The Miata is on the ground with the Engine, trans and rear end mounted. We have started wiring it up.
On the Subaru, we cut out 3/4" subframe spacers from aluminum and got the subframe in position.
Then we trimmed the subframe so we had enough clearance to be able to weld rectangle bar and steel plate in to reinforce.
We were able to get the engine level and positioned and started welding from the engine mounts towards the frame rails.
The plan is to use the rectangle bar to get from the mounts to the frame. then weld the bar to the subframe and then we are going to user 1 1/2" square bar to make a box around the oil pan and connect it to the radiator support at the front. I will post some pics shortly of where we are so far
Pic of the subframe spacer
Pic of new, much improved steering rack clearance
Starting to build the new subframe