To hopefully avoid issues with the increase in boost, I made a few small and inexpensive mods.
- Swapped out the tmic to tb hose clamps with t-bolt style ($6)
- Added aluminum c-channel pieces to the crimped edges of the stock tmic (~$10)
I've read the stock tmic isn't a bad part when it comes to avoiding heat soak, but the plastic end caps can begin to separate with increased boost pressure. It didn't start happening on mine, but I decided to do a version of the "bulletproof" mod
just in case. The aluminum pieces cost me $7 and a pack of 25 12" SS ties cost me $5 from my local Harbor Freight. I only used 6 of them.
Originally Posted by KMA2
In case it helps, I bought 4ft of the 3/8" c-channel at Lowes. (I think it was the 3/8"... you should search around a bit to be sure.) I cut the ends at a slight angle using a 4" cut-off wheel on my angle grinder and a bench vise. After cleaning them up with a file, I notched the ends by swapping out the cut-off for a regular grinder wheel. The notches only need to be deep enough to hold the stainless steel ties in place. I used one 12" tie along the top edge for looks, then used two more to finish the wrap around. Then repeat the process for the other side. I tried to get the ties as snug as I could, but I don't think they have to be super tight. The channel needs to be gently knocked onto the crimped edges of the tmic using a rubber mallet... or at least that's how I did it, so they are on there pretty good already. Be careful not to touch and mess up the cooling fins in the core when doing all of this.
I think it came out nicely. It was cheap and relatively quick, and hopefully a little extra insurance. Good luck!
*sorry for the blurry cell phone pics*