Member#: 338329
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

June 1, 2017

Mileage: 2824

What's being installed: eBay Front Lip

Subaru loves to have their bumpers higher than the side skirts and rear. I understand the logic behind it (clearance), but at an aesthetic standpoint, it just doesn't look right. On my WRX, as soon as I put the lip on, it made the car look that much better. It was a fairly inexpensive ht autosports cs style lip, but it did the car wonders. I knew a front lip was one of the first things I wanted to do on the STI since it had the same higher front bumper syndrome.

I flirted with the idea of getting something really nice this time around. I was really wanting a nice carbon fiber front lip, but after some thinking, I decided against it. I live in NJ and knowing what the car goes through year round, I would be pretty upset if I destroyed a $500 front lip. Something polyurethane would be the answer as it will give me the look I am after, yet the durability that I need.

The OEM STI lip is really nice, but we are looking at 400 bucks. I understand fitment is everything, but that is some serious money for a cosmetic mod! So I decided to look at a few other options out there and found some nice ones on Subispeed. HT Auto and OLM is what I initially was going to get. I decided to take a stab at looking on eBay since I have had a few friends get front lips from there and were happy with them. Found a oem style looking lip for 89 dollars. Decided to give it a go and see what it was all about.

To my surprise, the fitment was great. It went right onto the front bumper without any issues. Everything lined up well! I was pretty surprised I only paid 89 dollars for it, so I was more than happy. I figured if it was terrible, I would just toss it and get an HT auto one. But that easily changed after I saw how well it fit. There are a few areas on the side where it doesn't sit 100% flush to the bumper, but some 3m double sided tape took care of that easily. It is more of a shiny finish than the full, flat black of the more pricey options. But it looks pretty nice against the shine of the paint. I almost prefer this over the flat finished ones.

If you have the money to drop on a nice carbon fiber front lip, by all means do it. They look great. I just didn't feel comfortable putting that money on something I know is going to take a beating. Not to mention, I would much rather put the 300 dollars I saved into another part of the car. 89 bucks... hard to beat!

IMG_2133 by Freak Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2130 by Freak Photography, on Flickr
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote