Old 02-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
Lug_Nuts_23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 506272
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Nice, thanks!

Today the weather was nice so I went and looked at the trunk. But after using a little alcohol in places I knew I was stripping anyway and using a plastic knife to scrape away at the attempted fix, I discovered a rather obvious rusty patch where water had gotten in and undermined the factory seam sealer and had sat around under it.

It seems someone tried to fix it with some kind of rubbery tan stuff that wasn't all that tough--the alcohol softened it and helped remove most of it with me barely trying.

I used some Rust Reformer spray on it, and it says to wait 24 hours to topcoat, which I plan on doing. (Weirdly it had a kind of pleasant, almost candy green apple, smell rather than the horrid paint smells I'm accustomed to.)

On the left side of the trunk there appears to be a blob of seam sealer in about the place you show.

I'm thinking I might use E6000 instead of seam sealer because I've had good results with it in the past. It's clear and UV-resistant and not as expensive as the seam sealer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Lug_Nuts_23 is offline   Reply With Quote