Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen
That would be odd. Perhaps the EJ22T is closer related to the EJ18 head then.
The Ej18, Ej22E and EJ22t heads all come from the same basic casting. The Ej18 has the smallest valves of the bunch, with the Ej22t next in line, and then the Ej22E. The difference from head to head is only 1/8"

The intake ports on an Ej18 are significantly smaller than either the Ej22E or T. And the Ej18 uses the roller rocker with HLA's valve actuation. The Ej22E and T both use a more direct rocker without roller. You can switch valve actuation from head to head as long as you use the cams from the particular design. I know all this because I measured it and test fit the stuff in my garage.

I don't think anyone mentioned that the Ej22T injectors are larger, but aren't large enough for much over 225chp.

Also, if you need a turbo oil pump, water pump, or any of those other turbo specific items (like the throttle body or a manifold) let me know. I have spares of all this stuff.

Lastly, many turbos out there require some sort of oil cooling, not just the factory IHI or Mitsu units. But fabricating something to work by tapping the oil pan with a return is something that has been done many times by folks.

Now let me throw a twist into this build. Instead of getting a set of USDM Ej22T pistons and throwing them in to change the CR, change your heads. Get a set of DOHC Ej25 or SOHC Ej25 heads to significantly increase your flow. Your CR would be 8.6:1 The Ej22 heads flow something like 180cfm, while the RS heads flow more like 240cfm. I've got a set of builder DOHC Ej25 heads and manifold that I would dump for super cheap to see this build happen. You would need to rebuild the heads and replace a few valves, but I am talking about $100 plus freight and they are yours...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote