Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #4046
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Had the BRAKE light come on during the drive to work this morning. Got to work, checked the level of the reservoir, a bit low. Hmmm... Checked inside the wheels for signs of leakage and the right front looked wet.

Thinking I had a brake hose going bad, I left work early so I could go home to troubleshoot, then make it to Mach V to pick up a set of braided lines. (Had already checked online for a new stock hose - $50! Might as well spend ~$100 and get all 4 braided lines if it's $50 for just a single stock one.)

Took the wheel off and found that it wasn't wet with brake fluid, it was wet with CV grease that magically leaked out past an intact CV boot (and was all over the wheel, the brake caliper, the brake backing plate, the base of the strut, etc). I've had that happen on my Legacy before, but in that case, I could see that the boot clamp had allowed the boot to slip a bit, and I could see signs of where the grease escaped. That's not the case this time - both boot clamps are firmly in place, and I can't see where the grease came from. Weird.

Cleaned everything up, put the wheel back on, and topped off the brake fluid reservoir. I imagine I'll be replacing a bad axle at some point, and I'll keep an eye on the brake fluid to see if it drops again.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote