Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack65 View Post
I've driven a stick my whole driving life, from about the age of 11-12yr to now and spent 9yrs in the Speed3 and just used to that clutch. I'm getting the hang of where this one releases, getting used to it more, day by day.
I'm pretty sure you can blame the stiffness of the clutch assist spring for difficulty in getting used to the clutch. It is clearly visible when looking up toward where the clutch pedal pivots in its bracket (look on the back, or firewall, side of the pedal).

Other makes have the same problem, and for at least one other make there are aftermarket assist springs that are not as stiff (knowing about them is what put me onto it most likely being involved here). You get better clutch pedal feel with less assist spring, at the cost of a slightly heavier pedal.

I would not be surprised if a lighter spring would make it easier to deal with rev hang on the 1-2 upshift. The rev hang will still be there, but you should have easier control over engaging the clutch and be less apt to lurch on engaging 2nd.

Norm
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote