Scooby Newbie

Member#: 329025
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post

CalvinT, I can't confirm whether the charger you mentioned will charge our batteries properly, although as I mentioned before, if it has a "gel" or "gel/AGM" setting, we would recommend avoiding those settings. I asked about the gel batteries, because I occasionally hear folks mentioning them, but I have yet to come across anyone who actually uses one for anything. I was kind of hoping one of you guys might be the first!

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
The BatteryMINDER has three modes, flooded, AGM and gel. The manufacturer specifically states the OPTIMA battery should be charged with the AGM setting in their Q&A section. They also explain that gel batteries need different charge voltages than AGM batteries and that it's important to realize what type of sealed battery is being charged.

I do have one question. In their manual, in the section on battery testing, they state the OPTIMA Yellow Top deep cycle batteries have a fully charged "resting" voltage of 13.1 OCV (open circuit no load voltage). Can you confirm this? Is this different than the OPTIMA Red Top?

A comment about gel batteries. You'll usually see them in burglar alarms, small computer UPSs or other low current deep cycle setups that use a small sealed valve lead-acid battery. I don't think they lend themselves to heavy current draws, but I could be wrong. They're not good for vehicular use. They're no longer being recommended for use with solar. AGM is much more reliable and robust.

For those who are wondering... According to my research the optimum charge voltage for an AGM battery at room temperature (70-80F) is 14.3V with a 13.4 float or maintenance voltage. For a gel battery the voltages are 13.7V and 13.4V. Float voltages are only important for stationary use in communications, burglar alarms, UPSs, etc. where the battery is left on a charger 24/7.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by CalvinT; 03-27-2013 at 02:23 AM.
CalvinT is offline   Reply With Quote