View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #9617
Benchmark
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295582

Great post. So you don't need to remove any plastic shields to get to the drain plug? Since the "nipple" doesn't point down, I think I'll get the F-108N from Amazon (free shipping) instead of the F-108S (short nipple). Did you get the cap where they have the tubings at Home Depot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
First oil change today and installed a F108N Fumoto valve (thanks subiTWO for the size info).

The longer Fumoto valve does not hang below the plastic cover under the engine, even with my fancy addition so +1 for the longer valve that lets you attach tubing...

Notes:

1) The factory overtightened both the filter and the drain plug.

2) I removed the fill plug next to the oil filter and then pulled the oil drain plug and let the oil drain almost completely before messing with the oil filter.

3) In my case there was no mess at the filter when I removed it (there was either no oil left in it or it is held in place by a valve) -- so definitely drain the oil completely before you touch the oil filter.

The Fumoto valve fits great -- here are some pics:

And a little "safety" cap I made with a 1/2" plug from home depot and some of the 3/8" internal diameter vinyl tubing I bought. In order to fit the plug in the tubing I needed to dip the tubing into boiling water for a few seconds, it is a tight fit! With this tubing on the fumoto it would stop an oil leak if the valve were to open somehow.

In my case when I installed the Fumoto the finger valve is on the top (engine side), which is no problem because next time I will install the drain hose, and then open the valve (no fuss, no mess).

5.3 quarts of Amsoil OEM 0W-20 later, I'll see if that has any effect on MPG's...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote