View Single Post
Old 02-21-2001, 08:30 AM   #9
JayP
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3125
Vehicle:
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Black

Rich- you've inspired me to post my one and only rally...

I participated in a TSD rally about 5 years ago. It was put together by the local Porsche club but everything was allowed to run (conversion vans sight seeing-- no joke). My brother and I took the MGB I had been autoxing.

I had the 'B ready to run. Full of fuel, tools in the boot (remember, this is an MG) and snacks. Since this was more a novice event, so the only tools allowed were the odometer and watches.

The notes given to use were pretty clear. The -problem- was I was using low profile tires, where the 'Bs odometer was calibrated to the tall gumballs stock cars. Doh!!!

We missed some turns, well maybe several. I took the time to speed thru some sections while my brother shook his head saying we were going to be way too early for the next point. I think we were 5 minutes late... Doh!!

A whole day of driving with the top down in the sun, and only one pitstop in an outhouse in Virginia... Then we realized we were in Virgina!! Again, this was an MGB... the fuel gauge dosen't work. We had racked up a few hundred miles, the hot-rod carb isn't fuel efficient and to top it off... the fuel tank has a concave dent reducing the amount of fuel I can have in it.

We listened for sputtering in the corners and made us really pay attention to the notes. We didn't want to get off course and run out of fuel. We'd -still- be lost in VA.

We made it back without problems and placed before the conversion van. I figured I had about 10 miles of fuel left!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote