View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 01:41 AM   #15
stevebennett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 107269
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

A 2.5 would be a great way to go, especially with new pistons, but it in no way is cheap according to most people's definition of cheap. If you said limited funds, its probably not your style. To match up the heads, you will probably just need to do a bit of resurfacing to match better, about $120. If you went for a rebuild with pistons, it'd be $2k in labor, $2350 in parts. Roughly.
Without forged pistons you would expect about $1700 for the parts, and $1800 for labor. You'd need new gaskets though and any builder would probalby recommend APR head bolts for $220.

I'm inferring these numbers off of my receipts in case you were wondering where they came from.
I think if you wanted to go really cheap, of course you could buy a used ej205 shortblock, but why? You'd have no idea what you'd get and run the risk if doing the same thing you did again. If its cheaper and feasible to rebuild the internals on yours, do that. I have no idea what that costs, just thought I could give you numbers on the 2.5 USDM STi block with WRX heads
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
stevebennett is offline   Reply With Quote