Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
tracknerd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 53793
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
PSM

Noob to SM question... Having recently left STX via semi-accidentally going a bit upgrade nuts while recovering from a blown motor I'd love to put my currently portly 02 wagon on a serious diet and simplify frequently worked on areas as much as possible in the process. I see a lot of random comments on various SM related threads on various sites about small incremental weight reductions via angle grinders and such but the only allowance for such things that I see is the rule that allows sub 1lb reductions and modifications "to facilitate the installation of allowed parts or modifications". Which also includes a warning that competitors are "strongly cautioned to make the minimum amount of modification required" and to "not make unduly tortured interpretations of this rule". Which I'm having a hard time not doing...

Where does the safe side of the grinder gray area end? When doing legal deletes, is it legal for unneeded brackets, and welded in nuts/bolts to go away? What about random unneeded brackets that weigh less than 1lb each that are slightly in the way when working on certain things to happen to disappear?

Or, I've got a nice small lithium ion battery that doesn't really work well with normal battery tie downs (without tip-tie assistance), would it be legal to cut / grind off the little welded in raised area that holds the stock battery tray and then fab in a rather minimal custom bracket specific to my little battery to hold it more securely?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tracknerd is offline   Reply With Quote