View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Mechie3
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120152
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W View Post
It's ironic you say that[it doesn't mean much] when also admit you're defending at the same time.
I meant their statistics don't mean much, not that being a better driver doesn't mean much. They're suffering from a case of correlation != causation. I'm an excellent driver. I have boxes full of trophies to prove I am skilled at driving a car. At the same time, back in NY where it didn't matter, I drove 15 over the limit on highways and got 5 tickets/yr. Just because I had tickets didn't take anything away from my skill. My wife had no tickets in that time, but certainly isn't as adept at maneuvering a car, feeling where the limit is, and takes more risk when executing a passing maneuver than I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Statistics is what it is.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
The article is mis-titled. The word "better" should be replaced with "safer."
That would have been a more likely conclusion, as that can be backed up by the statistics they used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDSK8S View Post
The problem is, the "statistics" lacked many key pieces of data. They didn't take into account time driven etc (from what I can tell).
This is also what I was getting at when I said "doesn't mean much". They left out major key demographics (why? Did it not prove what they wanted to?) and didn't normalize the data for accidents/tickets vs total time spent driving. If you ignore the teenage population, and assume you die at 90, you can drive for a total of 70 years. some of their statistics included only 65+, or only 35% of all drivers (assuming equal distribution among all ages). Their other statistic didn't include 50% of all total drivers.

Seems odd to make such large blanket statements when your data doesn't include huge populations, doesn't normalize the data, and makes conclusions that can't be concluded (ie, better vs safer). That's what I was defending.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Mechie3 is offline   Reply With Quote