Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #36
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Yeah, when you highlight all that it does make me sound like an ass clown!

Despite all that fun, I did manage to get the engine in last night. I actually had it in Saturday, but it just wouldn't seat on the transmission. I've been through this before with my 2 previous EJ25 swaps, so I went through the same process - pull the engine back out, check the clutch disk/pilot bearing alignment, put it back into the engine bay, wiggle it around, rotate the crank a little bit, blah blah blah. Wouldn't go. It would get to about 1-1.5" from the tranny and then stick.

So Sunday I changed the way the engine hoist was hooked up so the engine would hang at a bit of an angle (with the rear lower, to better match the angle of the tranny, which has the front jacked up). Almost immediately the engine slid in a bit closer to the tranny - about 3/4" or so - but it still wouldn't quite go. I fiddled around some more and finally it slid into place. Of course I still have that fear (as I have the past 2 times) that it didn't really slide into place on it's own completely, and that by tightening all the bolts down I've just ruined the input shaft of the tranny. (Had a buddy do that to his Miotter, so it's always been a fear of mine since then.)

Hopefully I'll be able to get it started tonight. I need to install the intake manifold (need to pick up some vacuum tubing, a vacuum T, and some coolant hose), the exhaust header, radiator and fans, fill it up with oil and coolant, reinstall the battery, and I should be good to go.

Pat
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote