Vehicle:
2009 WRX
satin white pearl

Default Switch stop lamp fix?

Name: Loc

Make: 2009 Subaru WRX hatchback

Mileage: 156k

Time Out Of Use: few days

Problem And Likely Cause: the Hill Assist and Traction Control dash lights are on (disabled)

Modifications: none, stock

Submitted For Warranty Work (Yes/No): no, out of warranty

Reason Given For Denial: n/a

Your Story: I had a steering rack failed. It was the original OEM part. I bought the car brand new. Since it was out of warranty, I took it to a local (non Subaru shop) to have the part replaced. That shop installed an aftermarket, rebuilt rack made by Magna or Dana or something that "would fit" Subarus. After 2 subsequent failures of these rebuilt racks, that shop ordered an OEM Subaru rack from my dealership. Had it installed, and everything worked. Then those dash lights appeared, and they could not diagnose the problem or the fix. I saw on YouTube where a guy fixed this Hill Assist/Traction Control/ABS disabled with dash lights issue by replacing a $12 part called the Switch Stop Lamp which goes under the steering column. I suggested to their shop mgr that that was the issue. They bought the new part, installed, and those lights disappeared...it seemed to have fixed the issue. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. My A/C failed, and required replacing the Expansion Value and Evaporator. My dealership performed that repair, and A/C worked again (yay!). However, 3 days later, the Hill Assist and Traction Control lights came back on
I took it in thinking something that they did for the A/C repair caused that. They indicated that their technician read the code, and then reset something regarding steering imbalance. No new part was needed mind you, and they charged $150 for labor?? Picked up the car and everything was fine for 2 days. The lights have reappeared?? I'm going to bring it back in of course, but is it possible that this is steering rack related? HELP PLEASE.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
db97 is offline   Reply With Quote