Scooby Guru

Member#: 8808
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
DGM 5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Gal
want to learn more about physics... maybe take a class or something ???
i'm not being rude. i'm just not sure how else to explain it.
Jamie, with all due respect, your analysis fails to account for a number of issues in the incident... primarily that Markko suffered approximately the same deceleration as did Michael, but his injuries were minor. Intrusion into the passenger compartment and associated injuries were much more likely the culprit here.

I would like to see a thread started in here for frank, scientific discussion about the crash within the context of some of the others, but maintained separately such as not to have the "gawker" implication that some have made in this thread.

Earnhardt, and, to the best of my knowledge, Lovell and Freeman, all died of partial or complete basilar skull ring fractures around the foramen magnum. This incident seems to have very different dynamics, and the whip injury that caused the deaths of the other drivers should have been mostly prevented by HANS and helmet-retention seat designs that Martin and Park were using.

My condolences go out to Park's family, Markko, PSA, and all of his friends throughout the rallying community.

The Snell Memorial Foundation was founded after the unfortunate death of Pete Snell, and helmets have gone on to have rigorous design and testing standards applied to them. Similar standards must be defined for head restraint systems and cage/survival cell design, and it takes just this sort of tragedy to catalyze it.

/Andrew
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kha0S is offline   Reply With Quote