Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34989
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 2.5i wagon
88 RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha0S
Jamie, with all due respect, your analysis fails to account for a number of issues in the incident... primarily that Markko suffered approximately the same deceleration as did Michael, but his injuries were minor. Intrusion into the passenger compartment and associated injuries were much more likely the culprit here.
I don't want this to turn into a flame war or anything so lets all please be repectful when talking about this.

Kha0S, I think you are wrong in your assesment that Markko saw even approximately the same deceleration. Micheal had about 8" or less of what I'll call deceleration crumple before he was pressed up against the metal of the car that was touching the tree. I know that in my car my arm is pretty much pressed right against the roll cage, and the roll cage is only 1" away from the door panel. Markko on the other hand had the benefit of all the deceleration associated with the impact and car deformation. In a sence, with how little space there was between the tree and Micheal at impact, and at the speed they hit, it was as if Micheal hit the tree directly and instantly stopped, while Markko decelerated with the car.

Jamie was being very sincere in what she said. As Rallyist WE understand exactly what happened. We know it every time we get into our cars. I can understand how people that aren't directly involved with the sport wouldn't understand it the way we do. There really isn't much to examine in the cause of death, the only thing we can do is try to make the cars stronger for a side impact of this nature. Steps have been taken in the past after other incidents, but you can never account for everything.

Keith
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rallykeith is offline   Reply With Quote