Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34989
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
06 2.5i wagon
88 RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha0S
I'd also just like to point out that I am a rallyist as well.
Sorry, the point about that wasn't directed at you. It was meant for the inquiring general public.

There is a lot that goes into it and there are many points to cover, but physics is still at the base. Right now your point/counter point is that the cage "failed." It could be said that the cage failed allowing the tree to intrude upon the pasanger compartment and caused Maicheals death. Now, the other end of the spectrum is what happens in the exact same crash if the cage were in fact strong enough to not allow intrusion. Because of the speed in volved in this situation BOTH occupants would have been instantly decelerated and most likely both would have died from blunt force trama. The key to survival is slowing the rate of deceleration. I feel strongly that this incident was an extreme case, and what some might look at as a failure of the cage causing one fatality is in fact what in turn prevented two fatalities.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to argue but offer more input and other views. I was running Ski Sawmill when Sean Kovacs was killed. I know the organizers and many people involved and was involved offline in many discussions about the incident and how the cage failed. A lot of the same things have come up before as are coming up now. That doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, but mearly that we still have things we can do better, and I think talking about it like this is a good start.

Keith
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rallykeith is offline   Reply With Quote