Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (103)

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Default Ferodo DS2500 and DS3000 pads

I've run these pads for several years (not the same ones ) and their performance has kept from migrating to anything else.

For a little background- my car is a 04 wagon that has been through several suspension iterations- from the pretty mild oe v7 STi wagon setup to the current STi Tarmac/Koni combo- moderate sized sway bars w/ alignment that has varied from -1.5 front to -2.5 front, rear has always been ~ -1.5. Toe has varied from 0 to a little toe out f/r. Power is mild ~ 230/230 to the wheels.

Brakes started w/ the stock 2/1 sliders and are currently FHI 4/2 opposed (I've run Ferodo w/ both setups).

For a couple of years I ran DS2500's front and rear for both "street" and track days. For a pad to operate (effectively!) in such a wide environs was pretty remarkable to me. There are not many truly streetable/track capable pads around. The friction coefficient on the 2500's is clearly higher than the oe pads, this you'll this find out readily as you bed them in You'll also find out that they operate effectively in a very wide temp range- I run these pads year round- winter temps are often well (well) below zero. Cold bite is not a problem whatsoever. At the track they have never faded, I know temps are getting very high as I've had adhesive wheel weights melted off

It's been so long since I've run oe pads I can't say with certainty how the noise compares, suffice to say these pads are relatively quiet (I do swear by the oe copper colored pad goop). I do occasionally get a slight squeal w/ light braking, not very often.

These do dust more than stock. I don't find them to be overly dusty, but quite frankly dust is not a giant concern for me

These pads wear very well, much more than you would think for a relatively aggressive pad. These pads are VERY easy on rotors, one of the big pluses in my book. The material is very firm, very little compression- you'd be surprised to do a back to back w/ oe type pads how much a pad can compress under heavy braking.

DS3000- after a couple of years of running the 2500's at the track, I wanted to give a race pad a go. Thus far I've only rn 3000's front (2500's rear)- this year I'm going run them front and rear. I was concerned w/ pad compatibility between my street and track pads (I use the same set of rotors) so I felt sticking with Ferodo would make sense. I was right First the 3000's are a track pad, not a street pad. These do need a little heat them to get them to bite. I think you'd be fine driving to a track event w/ them (using common sense), but not for everyday.

Bite- hard to explain how well these bite. My first outing with them had me braking much too early (using my old braking points) I was slowly able to considerably move all my braking points up. As expected no fading problems w/ these- these have a very high operating temp. Noise and dust- yup Back to compatibility, I simply swap pads- do a short bed in and I'm good to go- ether direction, the pad material is VERY compatible.

These pads are also pretty easy on rotors (not as easy as the 2500's) too- again a big plus in my book as rotors aren't exactly cheap. Longevity- clearly not as long lived as the 2500's, but still "reasonable" for a track pad IMO.

The 2500's are now relegated to street/autox/canyon carving and occasionally track day duties.

Downside with both pads- they are not giving away the Ferodo's, they are pricey (there are not the priciest pads on the market, not the cheapest either). Having said that, their performance, longevity and rotor friendliness make the price of admission completely worthwhile.

I'm at heart a guy that like to experiment (the reason my suspension is changed on a near annual basis), but I've been so thoroughly impressed with the Ferodos I haven't given any serious considerations to changing
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote