View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Johngolf02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326927
Default 2007 WRX - 2nd Major Issue: Secondary Air Pump Failure

Hey everyone, new member here!

So I'll start this out with a funny (not so to me) story! So, as a little background, I purchased my 07 Subaru WRX brand new, and had taken responsible care of it since the day I drove it off the lot (service records, synthetic oil, premium gas, etc...). Well this was my first new car (at 22) and I had a $460 dollar payment for something like 62 months and finally payed it off about a month ago! YAY! I currently have around 81000 miles on the car.

Well I was driving with my fiance and some of her family when her brother asks me; Did you pay this thing off yet?... I told everyone in the car, well I know your never supposed to tell a car you payed it off, but I actually just payed it off last month! So I drop them off at their house, get back in my car, and proceed to head home....

Not even 15 minutes since I told him that it was payed off, I'm driving around 40mph in 4th gear and all a sudden I lose all acceleration... I press on the pedal and the RPM's dont move... The transmission is shifting fine, the car sounds fine (to me), and I pull over into the center lane and throw on my hazards... I turn the car off, wait a little bit, and try to start her up again... with a little hesitation she starts.... I try to accelerate (and nothing is happening, the car is crawling)... So again I shut it off and prepare to call for a tow... Well as I was calling my Dad to pick me up, I tried to start it again, and what do you know it starts right up and starts driving perfectly, like nothing happened! - So with only being about 5 miles from home I start driving it home with the intention of taking care of the issue the following morning (it was 11 PM)... Well about a mile down the road, the same thing happens, I lose all power... This time I was able to navigate the car into a safe parking area, and called my Dad back to pick me up, and had the vehicle towed to a local Subaru dealership.

We figured it was something with the ECU, and were hoping the repairs would be minor..

One of my good friends works in the warranty department for that Subaru dealership, so that is the place I took it trusting that they wouldn't screw me around...

Next morning after explaining the situation, and the Subaru Tech's diagnosing the car they gave me the news... :*(....

Now I am pretty mechanically sound, but am not so sound when it comes to engines and all the inner workings - so I will try to explain this as best as possible...

The Subaru tech (my friends co-worker) said that the secondary air pump seized, which in turn wiped out two combination valves.. As a result exhaust gases were going into the intake manifold...

So the break down on the work is approx (w/ a discount according to them):

Parts: $1542
Labor:$899
Fuel System Service: $179.99
Total: $2831... They told me they could do it for me for $2560 (Best Price)...

The fuel system service is required to clean the carbon deposits from the exhaust gases in my intake manifold (depending on the work they actually need to do, this could be less)

So.... My thoughts... THIS BLOWS!!!!

Again, I have maintained the car well, and this actually is the second major issue I have had with it!

At around 40000 miles, my clutch went... Again I said I maintained it well, the car is all factory and I drove it responsibly (I've driven mtx's my whole driving life)... Well long story short, after writing a lengthy email to SOA, I had all of the work done for approximately $400.. I was happy with that, although I wasn't happy I had the problem in the first place...

Talking with the Subaru Tech, the also mentioned that this was only like the 2nd or 3rd time he has seen this... He made it sound like it was a really rare problem...

Being as this was the 2nd major issue I have had with the vehicle, and the fact that I had taken well care of it... I contact SOA 1-800-SUBARU-3 to explain my side... They listened and said they would contact the shop manager, and get back to me...

The car is still at the shop, and I am expecting to hear something back tomorrow... Honestly I have to say I'm really disappointed in my car... I have thouroughly enjoyed owning and driving the vehicle, and have had (still kind of had) intentions of driving the car into the ground... This problem along with the last is really making me thing twice...

Thanks for reading everyone.... Kind of just venting, and if anyone has any tips / recommendations on how to handle this any better than I already am, It would be greatly appreciated... Also if someone has had a similar experience and can let me know how everything transpired, and if it seems like the price is reasonable that would be appreciated as well..

Thanks again guys!

John
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Johngolf02 is offline   Reply With Quote