Hiryu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31952
Vehicle:
2013 Murtaya R, S
Model S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
I have found that owning a Tesla actually makes you hate Elon more than you did before. Some of the decisions they make with these cars are baffling. The obtuse music interface is a big middle finger to anyone that enjoys listening to music in their cars.
Right??

Before owning a Tesla, I disliked Musk because he was an annoying, childlike, petty con artist who called people "pedos".

After owning a Tesla, I dislike Musk because he was an annoying, childlike, petty con artist who called people "pedos", AND:
  1. Judging from what I've learned on the Tesla sites, lies even more than I imagined. For example, apparently he promised that owners of the refreshed Model S/X would be able to press on the center of the yokes to activate the horn after a future software update (rather than trying to find the current capacitance button). Not only has that update never materialized, nobody has ever seen any actual physical mechanism that would enable that. I know I didn't when I was replacing the yoke.
  2. Has suggested, required, and defended such incredibly stupid designs. Not forward thinking--just stupid. If he didn't dictate such stupid features, the cars would actually be a lot better. Some of his gold:
  • Automated door handles - Did we need these? Love waiting for them to pop out. Waiting for the day when one decides to stop working and continually sticks out. Or stuck inside. The also get frozen. But Elon wanted them.
  • Gull wing doors - Supposedly they were gonna work better in tight parking spaces. Turns out they work worse. But supposedly they look cool...so...now they've got basically a minivan with cool doors.
  • Capacitance button turn signals - You know what interface has never NOT worked on any car I've driven? The turn signal stalks. Sure, when I test drove the Murtaya and some other cars in the UK, it was a little weird having it on the opposite side of the stalk, but that's not a problem in the US. But "turn stalks are ugly" and don't align with self-driving cars that have been promised to be six months away every six months for the last half decade. So now I actually have to divert my attention to turn them on, make sure they're on, and make sure they turn off properly. Good luck to anybody trying to find them on roundabouts or parking lots, or trying to keep them on/off properly on multiple lane changes.
  • Offset, capacitance button horn - Still not sure why they went with this approach....maybe cheaper? Unfortunately, now if I need to let somebody know they're merging into me, I have to divert my attention from the all-important avoidance and not-getting-rear-ended actions just to find the horn. That's after first pressing on the useless center of the wheel and setting off the windshield wipers...which means I usually don't get a signal to the other driver until they've basically finished their lane change and I'm on the shoulder. But hey, at least now I know how to log a complaint to the NHTSA.
  • Touch screen shifting - I miss my shifter. I never needed to look down during three point turns before. Now, like mostly everything else I do in this car, it wants/needs me to pay attention to it and not the world around me.
  • The yoke - Don't need to argue with sane adults on this one--since they all agree it's a joke.
  • No driver display - My first tip-off that Teslas were not drivers cars.
    I could never own a 3/Y. I know, I know, "You get used to it". Right.
  • No hud - Elon no likely, so they don't put them in Teslas, even though all the competition seems to have them now.
Ugh...Thanks all for letting me vent. Naturally, I'm told that I can't criticize Elon because he's saving the world, has built a new car company from the ground up (*cough*), and designs and builds space rockets, and I've done none of that (the best I've done is partially designed two cars and shipped a video game I built myself)...but at least I've never called anybody a pedo?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Hiryu is online now   Reply With Quote