Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
AKSubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6214
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
01.5 Audi S4
www.motorsportsalaska.com

-If you are buying a truck JUST for moving up here, I'd 1) buy the cheapest most reliable truck you can get that'll tow everything you need or 2) reconsider why you need the truck and ship everything.

-IF you are buying a truck because you genuinely want a truck, and in FBX it isnt a bad idea... then focus on getting something that meets ALL your needs for the truck. Do you want a full size or compact truck? Will you mainly tow just the STi on this trip, or plan to use it to tow sleds/bikes/atvs/camper? Since you would be replacing the Forester with it, will you be happy with this truck, and its creature comforts for DD status?

My recommendations for a truck would be as follows: Titan > Tundra > then depends on what I am buying the truck for... towing I'd follow with Chevy than ford, just for a DD truck I'd probably follow with a Tacoma.

All that being said though, my girl has a 95 Chevy 2500, looks beat to crap but has been damn reliable as a truck. It towed my Corrado numerous times, towed a race GTi (with a leaking water pump) back from Tanacross and then some (~350 miles), helped pull people out of snow banks and even helped pull out a Tahoe with a Tow dolly attached. Aside from something newer with more comfort, I dont see a reason to have any other truck.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AKSubie is offline   Reply With Quote