Scooby Newbie

Member#: 43495
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 FFR 818R STI
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMDan View Post
In regards to an F1 style qually, I like the idea but here's why it probably wouldn't happen.
You would have to have passing everywhere otherwise someone runs a good chance of not having a clean lap. Considering quite a few of the contestants (especially the Portland locals) wouldn't have any racing experience, just track day experience with limited passing, it wouldn't be a good mix.
Even if you ran street class / pro class seperately, the difference between lap times means people would still be catching others.

But yes, it would get boring to me watching a car go by every 90sec.

Good job Ryan on this event!, I know they'll just get better and better!
This is the same format we use in SCCA time trials. I understand what you're saying about clean laps, but that actually adds to the fun and strategy. As a competitor it's up to you to manage your track time effectively. If you get bunched up behind some cars, you can pull off and re-enter to get some space. Also, you don't have to go out right at the beginning of the session. You can wait a little later depending on the traffic. Another thing that could happen, is that you could set a killer fast lap right at the beginning. Then you can pull of into the hot pits and wait to see if someone beats it. For the subsequent sessions, we do grid up and go out according to the fastest cars from the previous sessions. It's conceivable that the fastest guy competing, doesn't make the next round because they weren't smart about managing their track time. You do want to set some car limit say 10 cars out on track at a time. For this year's Subiefest, having separate street and pro classes on track would have worked. Watch F1 qualifying and you'll see how it works. I actually think f1 qualifying is more exciting that the race itself. F1 will show a leader board. You can watch new leaders appear after each lap and see who is on the bubble to getting dropped.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by stifry; 04-11-2007 at 05:24 PM.
stifry is offline   Reply With Quote