Scooby Newbie

Member#: 333423
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Hatch
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
I would say your two UOAs show the vast improvement Mobil has made in their "regular" 5w30 between the SM and SN formulations, and that the SN formula is working well in your car. From this one UOA, it appears to be working at least as well as Pennzoil Ultra is working for "KHP" in his 2011 WRX. (LINK) I say "at least as well" because he does mostly highway driving on a stock tune in warm temperatures, your usage is likely much tougher on the oil.

Most of us around here recommend taking at least a half step up in viscosity due to the prevalence of spun bearings and turbo bearing failures in turbo EJ engines. It's just smart, cheap insurance. That half step would lead you to a European xw-30 like GC or M1 ESP Formula, but those oils are difficult to find and expensive, thus the recommendation to take a full step up to RT6, TDT, or M1 0w40.

By all means, continue to run the GF-5 (and upcoming GF-6) M1 5w30 and keep posting the UOAs. The way you use your car, the oil likely stays cool and thick, so there's not much to worry about, just know that UOA is unlikely to catch an impending bearing or turbo failure before it's too late.
I too am intrigued with what appears to be a much improved oil in the GF5. And with this last oil change I did refill with GF5 Mobil 1 5w/30 so we will have another UOA in awhile...hopefully I don't destroy my motor before then
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by garzdos; 07-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.
garzdos is offline   Reply With Quote