Member#: 135185
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STI
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
you're kidding, right??
RSi is dedicated snow tire and that is what it does the best, packed and unpacked snow. They are not better on dry pavement than the stockers, are very soft and handle quite poor on the dry and wet.
I would not destroy perfect winter tire at gravel RallyX. Save them for the winter rallyX
First off I don't know where you have found a gravel RallyX track but the two I have visited were a combo of hard packed dirt, loose dirt with rocks/stones strewn about, and occasional mud (depending on when it rained last). When you say gravel I'm thinking crushed limestone or the like added to the track.
Also after going from re92's to the RSI's for winter I have noticed about the same performance on dry roads and the RSI's are more predictable when they break loose. As for wet roads they are far better than the re92's especially in the hydroplaning resistance department. I can personally attest that re92's and rain at even 50mph is not a good idea unless you like hydroplaning. As for life on the RSI's that is directly related to how you drive on the roads and RallyX track, If you are prone to doing 4 wheel drifts around each turn (which will lower your lap times) then yeah you will destroy them pretty quick.
The RSI's are not like the blizzaks either they use only one compound throughout the entire tread patch rather than two different compounds in layers on top of one another.

On a personal note_ do NOT run on any RallyX track behind someone running RSI's they fling rocks like Cuban missiles

I don't want anyone getting the wrong Idea here like the RSI's should be used as an all-season literally as an all year tire, they should not be. But for RallyX and winter (Nov.- Feb.) I have no issue with them.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SF_kilo is offline   Reply With Quote