Old 06-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #263
decaman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73055
Vehicle:
04 STi
White

Default More MMT info

Well, after a CONSIDERABLE amount of research, I have come to the conclusion that the issues associated with using MMT in gasoline are dependent on the amount that is used. The following reference sums up the findings and presents real data and pictures of what MMT will do:

http://www.cleantransportcouncil.org..._ICCT_2004.pdf

The main conclusions I have come to are:
1) Problems are dependent on the concentration of MMT in the fuel; the less used the less the problems
2) MMT WILL cause an increase in vehicle emmisions but the amount depends on a lot of factors, including #1.
3) It WILL plug your cats, but in low concentrations it won't be very much especially if you have a high flow cat. In LEV testing it plugged 20% of the cat surface over 100K miles. I would NOT use it on a stock vehicle if I plan to use that exhaust to pass smog testing.
4) You are even less prone to have issues if you use it after driving for like 10,000 miles. Apparently a "precoated" exhaust system is less prone to manganese oxide buildup (the orange stuff). I couldn't find data for this but it was stated in the above reference.
5) It appears that injector and/or valve cleaner (or something similar) should be used periodically to keep the exhaust valves clean. Leakage can occur from the buildup of manganese oxide.

Does anyone know the concentration of MMT in Torco?

-decaman
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
decaman is offline   Reply With Quote