PA452
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346220
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Premium
MT Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwhon View Post
I like it but at the same time I get annoyed. When starting off on a very minimal incline/decline, the car does not move for a good second. But, it is handy when you're starting off on a major hill in SF.
I was experimenting with it today. It was nice on steep hills, particularly because I feel like newer vehicles using throttle-by-wire don't have the immediate throttle response that older vehicles once did.

I grew up driving manual transmissions; I have yet to own an automatic. I gave it some hard consideration this time around though. My last vehicle was a 2007 Tacoma. Still is actually, I'm keeping it as a second vehicle. But it was the first throttle-by-wire vehicle I've driven, and I never liked the goofy things the computer would do with the throttle. The Impreza seems to have some of the same traits (slightly delayed throttle response, RPM hang, etc..), but they aren't as bad as the Tacoma, or maybe I'm just used to them now.

But back to the HSA, I agree that on a very light grade it was occasionally a real annoyance. Several times I could distinctly tell the brakes had not let off while I was trying to move. There was a slight delay.

One thing I think is kind of crazy is that after 2 seconds the HSA releases the brakes whether you've started to engage the clutch or not. If it's going to hold me there, I actually think I would rather it just hold the brakes on indefinitely until I do something, rather than give me an arbitrary amount of time and then let me coast backwards into the car behind me. If you do want to coast back, it's easy enough to momentarily take it out of gear.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
PA452 is offline   Reply With Quote