Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
Drive wheels should always steer car...
Sometimes, this is not a bad thing.

I've driven many cars in anger over the years, AWD, RWD, FWD, you name it... owned variations of all. The most fun FWD I had was a '93 Si for a bit that was a freaking hoot on the course. I wouldn't dismiss the N being a performer *because* it's FWD.

However, I agree with your sentiment if it's not SET UP properly to be a performer, which is almost every other FWD car out there, save what Kosta mentioned (FiST, FoST, Type-R, Si, GTI) and now the N. Honestly, Honda has been ahead of the game for decades (Si/Integras). All other FWDs are compromises. Notice that MINI isn't in there either. They have struggled to make their FWD not torque steer, whereas Ford, Honda, VW have figured it out. Don't get me wrong, a properly suspensioned/altered MINI to improve its handline is a hoot to hoon, but it's still not with the other handful above solely for their incapability to control torque steer.

Now, with Biermann at Hyundai, who was at BMW with BMW in their heyday, maxing out at VP before Bangle ruined everything, especially dynamics), and having the helm vs being a yes-man, some fun things can happen at Hyundai.

Take what made fun cars back then fun, add some modern tech into it, and make them funner. People want the BMW of old, not many say nice things of the BMW of today when it comes to performance and handling. They've lost their way.

Give it a year or two, and I think Hyundai will have something close to an M-Beater in their stable - because it takes a few years to make these changes and he's been there for about 4-5 right now.

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote