riggy30
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 158321
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2010 WRX STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlowbaru View Post
Why do you suspect it wasn't replaced? Is the block not shiny clean?

I can tell you with certainty the warranty claim will not go through if there aren't old and new serial numbers recorded on the repair order. In other words, if the tech and the dealer want to get paid, they'll actually do the job.

Additionally, if they were to split the block and just replaced the bearings, that's actually WAY more work than simply replacing the short block. Since the technician would only get paid to replace the short block, I see no reason why a tech would do that much more work for less pay.

I just want to try to reassure you that not all dealers are scumbags!

So to answer your question, running your VIN through Subaru's vehicle inquiry system will show the engine's serial number.
Yeah, pretty much. I haven't really drove the car at all since it got repaired a few years back- it's been sitting in my garage collecting dust. Well, I'm finally starting my build and noticed when I pulled the motor that it looked very, very dirty and definitely didn't look like a new short block. The repair invoice stated that the block was replaced but I'm 95% sure it's the original block, which had 50k on it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
riggy30 is offline   Reply With Quote