Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Scooby921
Merci Buckets

Member#: 88606
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 Grand Cherokee
Velvet Red Pearl

I don't know if the change has come with the bankruptcy, new gov't/EPA fuel economy standards, or some realization that the market is changing and they have to adapt, but it is something visible within GM. The current round of vehicles being produced appear to be under a lot more scrutiny from the engineering side of things. Part design, function, features, validation, quality, all of it. The program I work on just encountered a 1 year delay because the current set of pre-production vehicles didn't turn out as desired. Too expensive, poorer than targeted ride and handling performance, and too heavy to meet planned fuel economy targets. So they're back to the drawing board making chassis improvements to reduce weight and improve dynamics.

So instead of shipping **** out the door they are spending a pretty good chunk of money to fix things before someone can be disappointed in them.

I happen to like the looks of the new Impala. I haven't had the chance to drive one yet, but I find it more appealing than anything coming from Japan. To me it looks better than comparable products from Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. I expect the German products perform better and have better options and features, but then they do cost quite a bit more.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Scooby921 is offline   Reply With Quote