Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
AnalogMan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497900
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
WR Blue

Default Anyone own both a WRX and BRZ?

I've been shopping for a BRZ since the beginning of the year. Along the way, She Who Must Always Be Obeyed In All Things (Mrs. AnalogMan) decreed that before I could buy another mostly impractical sports car, I had to get something that would be 'practical' year-round transportation, particularly usable in the winter in our new home in snowy New England.

So, much to my surprise, earlier this year I test drove, and bought, a new WRX Limited (6 speed of course). I never paid much attention to them before, both because we don't need another 4-door car (wife has a Crosstrek), and because of youthful stereotype of the WRX (being in my 60's, I don't quite fit that demographic). But it was so much fun to drive, great visibility, roomy enough for our needs, that I couldn't resist. The stiff and jittery ride might get old after a while, but that's a decision for the future.

There's one space left for a car in our lives, and I can buy anything within our budget (as long as it's not a Corvette, Mrs. AnalogMan refuses to get into one). For the past few months, I've been debating with myself about buying a BRZ. I like the car very much. It's the kind of old-school analog-feeling elemental sports car I grew up with and always loved. But, I question if it's silly to have 3 Subarus in the family? (My other car is a 2015 Mustang GT, bought as a retirement present for myself, to commemorate my first car being a rusty clapped out old Mustang when I was 16).

Along the way I also seriously considered the Nissan 370Z, love the engine, came close, but in the end couldn't deal with the abysmal visibility and cramped interior. Also test drive the Miata RF, which is still a candidate, but neither my wife nor I are especially into convertibles anymore. I thought about a used Cayman, but just can't bring myself to own a car with a virtually sealed engine compartment and no oil dip stick, and rip-off maintenance and repair costs (I also think a path to a happier life is to not buy cars that are a complete PITA to own, which is why I avoid German cars).

Does anyone else have both a BRZ and a WRX? Is it silly to have both?

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote