View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
cornwallav8r
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 189382
Default EJ22T - lightest powerplant for aviation?

I am starting initial design for a powe rplant transplant in an experimental helicopter...the stock engine is good for 200 or so hours and then it is rebuild time. And the remaining drive train is a maintenance pig. Want to go gearbox and shaft in lieu of all the belts bearings and pulleys. My intial questions if someone would be so kind...

1. We need about 170 horsepower (depending on the actual final weight of the drivetrain of course). Is the EJ22T the best starting point for a lightweight powerplant? This is the most important first decision....

2. If so, I know of a used car with EJ22T available to purchase for about $800, can rebuild that...not sure it is the cheapest route to start, but it seems to be at the moment.

3. What specific mods would you recommend that would achieve the 170 continuous horsepower, and maximize reliability? Remember, a helicopter runs at nearly full horsepower output continuously...actally more like 90% power at hover, then 75% for flight, continuously.

These are just initial questions to see whether I am thinking in the right direction. The weight is the overriding concern, any ways to reduce weight are paramount.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cornwallav8r is offline   Reply With Quote