View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 03:43 AM   #23
AdamNDJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39830
Vehicle:
1984 GL Turbo
Lightning Silver

How familiar are people on here with the older codes. There are quite a few 80's cars that are being converted to the newer EJ motors, so it would be good for people to understand the older Gen's. Like Gen I's are pre 1982, Gen II's are 1982-84 for coupes and wagons and through 87 for hatchbacks and Brats, Gen III's are the "Loyale" cars from 1985 untill the Legacy line (early 90's).
The engine in these cars are broken down also, lotsa people don't really get the pre EJ numbers, EA71 is a 1.6L OHV, EA81 is 1.8L OHV, EA82 is 1.8L SOHC, and the ER27 is 2.7L SOHC H6.
These motors came with a variety of fuel systems as well, T designation is always turbo as EA81T or EA82T. The EA81 was the first turbocharged Subaru engine put into production (This is the car that I own, the Great Grandmother of the WRX).
Among the EA82 engine series there were a number of fuel systems. Carb'd is pretty easy 2bbl, which is a 2 barrel hitachi, feed back carburetor. Then there is SPFI, Single Point Fuel Injection, which was Subaru's way of saying Throttle body injection. MPFI is still used today, so no description needed. All of the turbo models were MPFI, and the ER27 only came as NA MPFI.
Gen I cars are EA71 powered, Gen II's are EA81 cars, and Gen III's are EA82 cars, the XT-6 (ER27) is considered a Gen III with the NA and Turbo Xt's.
Hope this helps out some people.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AdamNDJ is offline   Reply With Quote