Old 12-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Daggah
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 152077
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 Volkswagen GTI
Reflex Silver

I personally have three different avenues, all with USAA. I do some stock trading, I have a mutual fund, and I have a roth IRA that's primarily in a different mutual fund that I'm maxing out.

My regular mutual fund is the USAA Precious Metals, which has been a terrible investment. But I am considering trying to dump more money into it now while it's low in the hopes of it eventually bouncing back.

I've done pretty well for myself with stocks, though I imagine my taxes this year are going to suck...I don't mind paying the short term capital gains taxes, but I do see it being a pain to actually file everything. I'm up 60% this year with my stock purchases. I'm not as knowledgeable as I strictly should be, but my strategy has basically been to look for huge drops on a company in the sector I know the most about (technology) and then I ask myself if I think it's a market over-reaction, usually in the case of quarterly earnings releases. I've bought and sold AMD several times this year, making a profit each time.

I did miss out on a huge gain from one company I bought...sold it a few weeks later for a 10% profit, which I was perfectly satisfied with...a couple months later, it's announced that it's being bought out and the stock gained 60% in a single day. I would've made 8 grand if I had been "greedy" and held on a while longer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Daggah is offline   Reply With Quote