Old 01-21-2022, 03:53 PM   #4979
samagon
Scooby Guru

Member#: 26859
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

I've driven my fair share of cars with automatic transmissions, I've never used, nor missed a mechanical parking brake in these vehicles.

I've only ever owned cars with manual transmissions (my wife's primary vehicle not withstanding), I've never had one without a mechanical parking brake.

since I only ever use the parking brake to ensure the cars stays immobile when parked, I wouldn't really care if the mechanical arm was replaced with an automated button.

living and driving in Houston I don't get much opportunity/need to take hill starts seriously enough to want to use the handbrake to help, and when I did live in a place with wintry weather, engine braking was more than adequate to meet the gentle stopping requirements. I've been driving for 30 years, and probably a conservative estimate of over half a million miles, I've never had the hydraulic brakes fail me creating the need to use the parking brake as an emergency brake.

thinking back on it, I also had a few throttle cable failures during that time, never a drive by wire throttle failure though, for what that's worth.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote