Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6M
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlarryHoodDIT View Post
I agree but it also dpends on what's being done. Simple stuff like putting on and taking off an exhaust or intake or something isnt a big deal, but its not exactly practical to learn how to assemble a built motor in ones spare time. I don't have a garage and my complex specifically has rules against doing mechanical work in the parking lot (even changing oil is not allowed), just finding a place to do work can get annoying. Not everyone has the same situation that working on their car is as easy as walking to the garage and opening the hood.
Actually, engine assembly is well within the capabilities of a patient DIY'er (I've done several full and partial builds myself, and I was trained as an engineer rather than as a mechanic).

I do understand it's a different situation when HOAs and apartment complexes have rigid and comprehensive rules against DIY car work. Wouldn't live in a place like that, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Theres nothing wrong with taking a car to a shop to get work done and it's not unreasonable to expect a business to act professionally and ethically on your behalf.
And they've got to be able to do the actual work right, without screwing something up in the process (possibly even something totally unrelated to the original job).

By way of explanation . . . if it's harder for me to see taking your car to the shop as being the default way to proceed, maybe it's because when I was growing up (think 1950's and 1960's here), hotrodding your car was something that you far more commonly did for yourself than pay to have done for you. Old habits die hard, and I'm actually in the middle of a differential swap and axle gear change for the Mustang.

Norm
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote