Old 09-10-2005, 01:22 AM   #4
Subiverted
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95199
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy Brighton
White

Thumbs up

I actually removed a deep (~1/8") gash across the red translucent red plastic piece that says subaru on the back of my '97 wagon starting with 400 grit sandpaper and working up to 1000 grit followed by rubbing and then polishing compound. It worked perfectly- the gash is completely gone and no scratches remain.

With that success I quickly moved up to the yellowing headlights and, although they took a little more effort (they were REALLY bad) just a quick pass with the rubbing compound made a huge difference. One of these days I will have to get back to them and give them a proper finish. I have no doubt I can make them look brand new. Add a little rain-x when I'm done and presto! New headlights!

By the way Pat- that is an excellent writeup that is in the link you posted. I just had a comment about someone who was looking for plexus plastic polish: it is EXACTLY the same as pledge furniture polish but costs 4 times as much. I used to use it on the plexi windshield on my airplane before I was "informed" by the other pilots that I was an idiot... Gotta love that lemon fresh scent...

EDITED: Just polished out the headlights tonight. They look better than new! Crystal clear. Used wet 600 wet/dry sandpaper, wet 1500 W/D, wet 2000W/D, dry polishing compound, some meguires plastic polish and a coating of rain-x. Took about 20 minutes per side. Have before/after pics but can't figure out how to post them...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Subiverted; 09-11-2005 at 02:48 AM.
Subiverted is offline   Reply With Quote