alanlcit
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71108
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 (Sold) WRX STi
Crystal Gray Metallic

Default Used Oil Analysis - Castrol Syntec 10W40 - Subaru WRX STi, 2nd sample

A few months ago I posted my first Castrol Syntec UOA...this is the second one, and you can compare to the first below...

Driving style:
A few full throttle freeway onramp pulls. Don't take it quite all the way to redline (6500 max). I don't race the car, and I don't track it. I use the car as a daily driver, for both my commute and on longer trips.

Driving conditions:
This oil was used through the San Diego summer, with a few trips with temperatures in the upper 90's/low 100's.

Consumption:
Generally, the consumption has been a bit lower than it was with Mobil 1. For this 4500-mile interval, I used a total of 1.7qts (1.3qts makeup oil was added, plus 0.4qts short after the drain). I tend not to put much stock in the leaky gasket theory they propose, since the consumption has always been this way...wouldn't a leaky gasket/seal be noticeable from outside the engine as a leak?...I don't have any oil leaking from anywhere on the engine. I've always assumed that it just burns/evaporates.
For Mobil 1 with a 4500 mile interval, I would think I would have burned upwards of 2 quarts...probably 2.5. So a little improvement.

I'm now running Amsoil 5W30 (can't remember the exact letters of the oil-type...not the super long life variety) in my engine (it's cooled down again in San Diego now, so I think this will be ok)...we'll see how that does in a few months. Out of caution, I'll be changing that after 4k miles...then extend the interval if it all looks good.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
alanlcit is offline   Reply With Quote