View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #29710
drpoop
*** Banned ***

Member#: 421858
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza

How much weight do you guys think you could save on a 2012-2014 2.0i if you went all out and shed every ounce you could without removing difficult-to-impossible to replace components?

You'd save many pounds to start by removing the inner door panels and the speakers. A few more pounds by removing floor mats, a few more by removing rear seats, a few more by removing the rear cargo area carpet board (referring to hatch only here in this post), a few more by removing all unnecessary plastic panels around the cabin, probably 15-25 by removing the spare tire plus all related equipment in the trunk area, 42+ pounds by only ever running the tank half full max when possible, remove the muffler and replace with a bent pipe at the end who knows maybe 10 pounds?

I'm not sure what changing from say a 25 pound steel wheel to a 16 pound forged/cast aluminum wheel would do. The wheel companies like to claim every pound saved on the wheel is like 20 pounds or some ridiculous **** from the body of the car, but I don't believe that for a second. Let's say it's like saving maybe 50 pounds to go from super heavy steels to quality forged race wheels?

I could see 200-300 pounds out of the car if you remove everything possible without getting into insane **** like window motor removal or HVAC removal. Probably would shave a fifth of a second off the 60 and give you an extra 2 hundredths of a lateral g on handling tests... probably not worth it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
drpoop is offline   Reply With Quote