Jrlaughter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 521541
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeytits1 View Post
*edit OK typed this up for what I assumed was the last page - But I'll leave it here for reference

For anyone wanting to use an EZ30D, I would suggest using the original ECU. I have done this in my conversion, and even with a manual trans it is possible to stop it throwing engine lights without flashing it or using big resistor banks. I can provide info on this for anyone who needs it

Major draw backs with a stand alone is it needs a calibration. The EZ30D cal is still not unpacked (from what I can gather) so any base 'tune' would be created from scratch. Having worked as an engine calibration engineer for a major OEM, I can say replicating all the work that they do is basically infeasible for a normal mechanic/tuner.

OEM spark timing algorithms generally have a closed loop control that pushes it up to the knock limit (and EZs do knock on occasion) and so that leaves basically no power gains on the table for tuners, even with high octane fuel

So if you want to remain nat aspirated and you want a good knock calibration, reasonable fuel economy and optimised spark timing I would suggest using the original computer. It works pretty well and a stock EZ30D with a manual trans is pretty fun, even if it is the ugly ducking of the EZ lineup!

Any suggestions for jdm ez30r, 6MT. I have the harness and ecu from legacy aswell.

Wiring diagrams may as well be Chinese algebra to me. Appreciate your input, links, youtube, book references, in-person consultations, the whole lot!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Jrlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote