NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterous View Post
Thankfully I have the motor on a stand upside down so I dont have to do it in the car. I have the block and the pan flange cleaned pretty well. I gently scraped the block with a razor blade and then cleaned both sides with alcohol. I will hit everything with alcohol one more time before I actually put the pan in place to be totally sure.

How important is torquing the pan bolts? I dont have a wrench that goes below 5ft/lbs.
Lucky you, it's much easier that way! Sometimes I'll use a fine scotchbrite pan to remove ALL old gasket, and cleaning with alcohol is good too.

The biggest mistake people make when installing the pan (more so on the OEM pan) is overtightening the bolts. With our pan you're fine with 5ft/lbs, that's what we recommend. On an OEM pan once you exceed 5ft/lbs the area between each bolt actually begins to lift, potentially leading to a leak. What's important to remember is that the pan bolts don't do much more than hold the pan in place until the gasket/adheasive cures. Once the gasket cures the pan isn't going anywhere.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote