Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Okita Souji
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41097
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Aspen White

Default STi cluster swap FAQ - can we get one started?

I've noticed recently that there are numerous threads being started for STi cluster swaps. I think we should compile all the information for swaps into one thread so that it would be easier for people to find information and also cut down on posts asking for the same info.

Those of you that have done swaps, please post down what year STi cluster you used and what year WRX it went into as well as what modifications you had, any indicator lights which remained on, or any other notes which you deem were important.

I'll check this thread periodically and edit my post to incorporate posts in this thread which contain information on swaps, giving credit to those who submitted the posts. If anyone has a better idea on how to do this please give your input.

DISCLAIMER: Swapping out clusters WILL void the warranty on your car! We assume no responsibility if your warranty gets voided. Swap clusters at our own risk!

For those of you wishing to have your new cluster reprogrammed to show the mileage of your old cluster check out www.tacomaspeedometer.com. They will require you to send a notarized statement as to why you are getting the cluster reprogrammed.

Here's some info from my own swap.

04 USDM STi cluster into 05+ WRX
----------------------------------
-Cluster plugs in without any modifications to the plugs.
-Outside air temp works ONLY on WRXs with auto HVAC.
-Cruise indicator light wire must be moved from B28 to B16.
-Illumination levels are set by pressing the odometer reset until "ill" appears in the odometer display.
-Shift light and alarm are set by turning the set stalk on the left by the temp display.

Note: I did not have any issues with any buzzing in my install. Some have reported their clusters buzzing. 06+ STi cluster users have reported the buzzing stopping after cutting wire C9.

Indicator lights which remain on:
-I/C waterspray: tape over or ground
-Rear diff temp: tape over or ground
-DCCD light: tape over
-ABS: The ABS light will not work correctly since there is wiring differences in the ABS between the 04 and 05 models both on the car and in the cluster itself. I did some comparisons between the tech sheets on the 04 and 05 and the voltage the cluster sees between both years is reversed. Your ABS light will work "backwards" as in stay off for 2 seconds then turn on vs staying on for 2 sec and going out. It'll be annoying but you can put tape over the light.

There's currently no known way to fix the ABS light problem with the 04 STi in 05 WRX setup. The only way would be to use an 05 STi cluster, but you'd end up moving more wires and having to modify one of the harness plugs in order for it to fit the STi cluster.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Okita Souji; 03-11-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Okita Souji is offline   Reply With Quote