Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291770
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STI
Java & satin black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm020 View Post
My '13 WRX got keyed at a football game a week ago, and I'm looking to attempt to wet-sand it to minimize the scratch. I got touch up paint from the dealer, and have since filled in the scratch to almost flush with the paint. I have read about Suby's super thin clear, and was wondering if anyone has tried to wet-sand a key mark, and if so, how successful they've been. I know it's not going to disappear, I just want to minimize it without spending 1k to re-spray a whole door. The mark is only about 6-8" long...
I have wetsanded a few scratches before with great success. They all totally disappeared so I was lucky. My scratches weren't deep at all except for one. It is hard to see from any angle though. I have black paint too.

A problem I encountered though was when I went to buff the paint. I had swirl marks trying to do it by hand. I ordered some foam 3M pads along a power drill attachment that attaches the foam pads via velcro and used 3M rubbing compound first with light pressure. I made slow overlapping passes with the rubbing compound. I followed that up with 3M scratch remover also making slow overlapping passes with light pressure. I found it best to let the compound do the work instead of applying hard pressure. I only pressed hard enought to compress the waffle pad flat onto the paint. FYI, I think 3M sells a scratch remover kit that includes all of the products I just mentioned. You can also use this method to restore dull headlights. Just sand by hand though as it saves you more work in the long run.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Brown Ops is offline   Reply With Quote