View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
tracknerd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 53793
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago, IL
Vehicle:
02 WRX
PSM

Default

Build as of 10/28/2017

Motor:

I had initially planned on doing a reasonably stout hybrid build, but while looking into the costs of getting heads machined to avoid some of the hybrid headaches that I've heard so much about for years I stumbled upon a nice low milage long block from a 2013 wrx for about what I was going to have to pay for the head work and grabbed it instead.



The trickiest bit of getting the new motor to work with my 02 usdm ecu was to bypass the avcs, which was actually much easier than most of the threads around here would lead one to believe. All that’s needed is well stated in the elementtuning avcs delete walk through.

I would love to have the extra low end grunt and improved spool that having functional avcs would give, so a future project will possibly be to try to get that working, while still being able to easily pass the OBDII step of emissions testing.

I still have the shortblock that I was going to use for the hybrid build, I’ll be very slowly building that up as a stronger spare for when I kill this one.


Turbo:

Little oem turbos just weren’t going to cut it. After looking long and hard at Killer-B’s spoolinator setup and at various EFR turbos, I opted for a GTX-3067R with a tial exhaust housing. I had always wanted to learn how to weld, so figured I'd choose my own adventure and roll my own rotated setup. This slowed my build down quite a bit more than I expected, after several iterations with ugly not air tight welds, especially in places where the MIG nozzle didn’t fit well, I ended up tacking the tights spots together and having a shop TIG them.



The main take away lesson was that I should have bought a kit and learned to weld on something easier than thin stainless steel tubing with a MIG. That said, I'm hooked on welding and really wish that I'd gone straight to the steeper learning curve of TIG instead of messing around with this MIG.

Going rotated required doing a few unplanned changes, such as AN power steering lines, Killer-B overflow tank and some other small bits here and there.


E85:

To kick up low end grunt, I wanted the ability to run E85, so added a walbro 255, ID1000s, flat4motorsport fuel lines, ID fuel filter, aeromotive FPR and an ethanol sensor.

Once I get everything more or less sorted I plan on getting both a pump and E85 dyno tune and then possibly venturing into something like carberry based flex fuel.


Simplify and add lightness:

Nothing helps everything like less weight. In the process of this build I am trying to remove weight everywhere I can and simplify as many things that used to annoy me about working on this car, while staying SM legal.


Turbo oil drain:

I never want to 2nd guess if my turbo oil drain is on right again, so I converted to -10 AN oil drain with a TigWerks block adapter.


TMIC:

I've never liked the Y-Pipe setup but didn't want to go FMIC so I switched to a side entry TMIC with a little custom tubing from the turbo.



(so far I'm a big fan of that choice)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by tracknerd; 04-22-2018 at 12:08 PM.
tracknerd is offline   Reply With Quote