View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #6
bluesubie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 767
Join Date: Jan 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N.J.
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Default New car questiones oil,powersteering,clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob11531 View Post

I already have a qt of 0W-40 Mobile 1 laying around so I will end up doing this change with this oil and if it holds up well this time, I will continue using it for now. However, is it better for me to run the 5W-30 still such as Motul? Besides being recommended to use the 0W-40 by an engine builder, can the thicker oil help out more since the motor is 75k? My 2 options for filters is a quick stop in and out of for a WIX filter or I will have to drive 30 mins to the dealership for an OEM. I'm sure either are fine but does one exceed the other?


Mobil 1 0W-40 is an excellent choice but not just because it has mOaR ZDDP. The days of ZDDP of being the only anti-wear additive in oil are long gone.

Castrol Edge 0W-40 is another good choice and continues to meet the BMW Long Life spec whereas Mobil 1 does not. That doesnít necessarily mean that Mobil 1 isnít as good as Castrol. They both meet Porsche and MB specs.

People have a tendency to recommend brand, but you should compare specs over brand. Motul has 6 5W-30ís which meet a variety of different specs.

With 185k miles on my FXT, I say that the oil filter doesnít matter. I probably use OEM 80% of the time and whatever came free with oil specials the other 20%.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote