View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #21
Scooby Specialist
Member#: 162857
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, AB

Originally Posted by AllAWD View Post
If you look at it that narrowly, then no. You have to look at the whole package, materials, innovations, sound, feel, touch. LFA is not a magazine race winner.
^ This.

From wikipedia:

The production Lexus LFA features a new V10 engine and a carbon fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) body. CFRP materials account for 65 percent of the LFA's body composition by mass.

While the original LF-A had been strictly a concept model, the second concept's design reflecting engineering analysis for possible production. The exterior design had been restyled to take advantage of the flexibility offered by carbon fiber construction

However, the coupe is intended to serve as a testbed for new car technologies, including carbon fiber mass-production, and related performance vehicle development.

The Lexus LFA's frame is made from an in-house designed and manufactured carbon fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) center monocoque with aluminum front and rear subframes. The subframes, which can be removed and replaced minimizing potential repair costs, are joined to the monocoque using a newly developed aluminum flanged collar designed to create a stronger joint.[2] According to the manufacturer, the quality of the CRFP material matches that of aeronautical grades and is woven by a laser monitored circular loom***, one of only two in the world.[37] Overall 65% of the vehicle's total body mass is CFRP material while the remaining 35% is aluminum.[3] Manufacturer data indicates that the use of CFRP saves 100 kg (220 lbs) over equivalent aluminum materials.

On September 2, 2011 reports came from Lexus via Twitter as well as Chris Harris of Evo Magazine that the Lexus LFA Nürburgring Package completed a lap of the Nurburgring in 7:14 with a top speed of 298 km/h on the "Dottinger" uphill climb, the fourth fastest time ever for a production car, and four seconds quicker than the Porsche 911 GT2 RS at 7:18.[67] A few days later, the time was confirmed by Lexus as 7:14.64, a video was provided. OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE070 street tires had been used. The LFA Nurburgring Package is the only car ever to have lapped Nurburgring in less than 7:20 without racing compound super-slick competition tires such as Michelin Pilot Cup tires or Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires.
So, no, not just an image car.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by manticus; 12-18-2012 at 01:45 AM.
manticus is offline   Reply With Quote