View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #30
AlexD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270986

I can only guess what he did as i can't ask him, he's nowhere to be found. You only get one guess as to who the builder was.

The rods are Pauter, i presume they're custom made as i don't think Pauter has them off the shelf.

What i'm thinking of doing is to bore out the block half-shells or whatever they're called (journals...?) that hold the main bearings (don't know the correct term for it, we call it "thorning") and the conrods, to equalize all the tolerances, retighten and measure everything up - and work up from there, make something like 0,0025in clearances all round and find the appropriate main and big end bearings. This way i'm trying to put too many variables together - i'm only guessing the tolerances in the engine right now, i just presume he used standard bearings (5 or 6 different ones at that...), i'm guessing Chevy will work...too much guessing, i need to have my facts straight.

Reason i can't actually measure the sizes and definitely see the journal sizes is the crank being polished out for the very slight damage from the bearings.

For the moment, i'm trying to establish what the alternatives are for the main bearings, assuming that the dimensions of the crank are identical to the OEM - are they interchangeable with any other, etc.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AlexD is offline   Reply With Quote